Memoir of a Writer Interrupted

A sheltered reclusive that metamorphosized into an intelligent, talented, purposed light that shines on people standing unmoved on life's journey...an overanalytical ball of energy that forgets intelligence, talent and purpose after putting my flaws under a micrscope and watching everyone but myself.

Friday, April 07, 2006

My crazy idea

Everyone else is doing it. Well, not everyone – just the successful and well paid writers. I spend hours hanging on the words they tell other writers and reporters; they write everyday. Now, if writing everyday was something that only a few of these writers did, I could brush off my habit of writing something creative twice a month, tops, as something that works for me. But it wasn't a few writers who said this. In both written and taped interviews I have read or seen, every successful writer has said that they write everyday.

I don't write everyday. I spend my days chasing news stories and my nights planning how my freelance career is going to take off. When I do have time to put my creativity down on paper, I do one of several things instead: sleep, catch up with old friends, read books, watch movies, clean, or move my laptop under my bed while telling myself I can write later. Sometimes I do manage to get the laptop on. If this happens, I search the internet for information on whatever I am thinking about, check e-mails, clean out my e-mail inbox, and search for nonfiction writing jobs. If I actually open up Word, I stare at the one sentence I wrote and watch the cursor blink. If I write more than one sentence, eventually I stop, tell myself that the story I am trying to tell is undeveloped and lacks whatever good novelists and short story writers have, and then hit Select All and Delete.

Today I had a crazy idea: I am going to make myself write something down in my blog everyday for at least a month. When I created my blog, I had no intention of doing this. I had planned on writing when the mood struck me or inspiration hit me. But truth be told, I do not want to be the writer I am now. I want to be better. Challenging myself this way should bring forth some good creative work I can submit. Then I can be the successful and well paid writer giving interviews instead of interviewing writers.

Of course, I have never been interested writing to gain success or money. It would be ideal, and I would certainly take both if they came my way, but I write for a different cause. I write to change people and the world we live in.

Cheesy and cliched, I know. But it is the truth. For now, just call me green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home