Memoir of a Writer Interrupted

A sheltered reclusive that metamorphosized into an intelligent, talented, purposed light that shines on people standing unmoved on life's journey...an overanalytical ball of energy that forgets intelligence, talent and purpose after putting my flaws under a micrscope and watching everyone but myself.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Eating cereal and waiting patiently

Honey Nut Cheerios and Cocoa Pebbles. This has been my dinner every night this week. I sit in my room eating cereal from a (very cool looking) green bowl waiting for at least one of the checks I am due to receive sometime this month to come in.

Completing five projects in a week and a half was hard work and quite stressful! I learned that most people understand what it is like to have a full plate of work to do – and they will agree to move deadlines if you ask. (Tip for writers: Don’t overwhelm yourself. Be honest – tell them it is 3 a.m. and you are a crazed maniac dying from eyestrain and research.)

While I am waiting for my checks, Time Warner has decided I don’t need internet access, I mean, I did finish my projects for now right? Cingular Wireless has been gracious enough to give me time to relax and spend with myself. They turned my phone off so that I have no access to the outside world. Thanks Time Warner and Cingular Wireless.

If you are wondering if I am being sarcastic, I AM. For a writer to have no Internet or phone access is, well, scary. I don’t know what to do with myself. Sure, I need to relax and relish in the fact that I have no upcoming deadlines, but I can’t. There are more articles, newsletters, memoirs and book reviews to be written. I must write! Okay, I am slowly stepping off of my soapbox now. Slowly.

I am now in the beginning stages of writing for a living – ONLY writing for a living. No bosses, no clock-in clock-out, no asking if I can take a vacation or be sick, no sitting in a 5 ft. cubicle with no windows. By the end of next year I will be working for myself. I imagine I will wake up at dawn, have a spinach and feta cheese omelet (I have not tried this but it just sounds so good!), write in my pajamas in a room full of open windows until I am tired, manage my money, and wrap everything up by the time the mailman comes so that I can focus on how many checks I get. This will be a good day. Most days will probably be me waking up, drinking decaffeinated tea, still sitting in my pajamas but writing vigorously, being constantly interrupted by the phone and e-mail, realizing I have something due that day, writing more vigorously, frustrating myself, stopping after I am so stressed I am shaking, and watching the mailman smile as he hands me a stack full of bills and no checks.

To be honest, I don’t care what kind of day I have. It will be the day I can say I’M FREE of corporate America.

Would you like writer or state job, Miss Brandy? Writer, please, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home